Kids’ Q Contest Open to Youth 15 Years and Under, Entry is Free
Saturday, May 5, 2018 2:30pm & 3:30pm
KIDS Q PROTEIN #1 -each competitor will receive 2 Crocodile Tenderloins courtesy of Hills Foods
KIDS Q PROTEIN #2 -each competitor will receive a hunk of Pork Belly (approx 1/2 pound) courtesy of Johnson’s Fresh, Local, Quality.
Turnin will be in a clam shell we provide and only green leaf lettuce as garnish.
Is there a Junior Pitmaster living at your house? Do they have what it takes to enter a real BBQ competition? We encourage kids to get into the competition and cook their way into cash, a ginormous trophy and huge bragging rights! COME GET YOUR GRILL ON at the Kids’ Q Contest! Open to all youth 15 years and under. Cooks must have adult supervision. Entry is free and limited to the first 15 competitors registered. You can bring your own BBQ or ask us to put you with a mentor competition BBQ team.
Proteins are Sponsored and Supplied
The meats the kids cook for the competition are sponsored and supplied! 2017 saw the competitors given pork tenderloins and thick cut pepper bacon courtesy of Johnston’s BC Pork and Hills Foods supplied chicken tenders. Our certified BBQ judges were amazed by the extremely high level of skill that was demonstrated by the young chefs. Moist and tender pork and chicken showed us that we really are doing the right thing with this category and grooming a whole new crop of competition cooks!
Compete for Cash Prizes and Trophies in Kids Q
Combined scores from both categories decide:
- First prize $100 and a huge trophy
- Second prize $50 and huge trophy
- Ribbons for the top 6 teams
Kids Q Contest Rules
- Kids Q Competition is for youth 15 years of age and under.
- Kids Q category meats are determined prior to the cook-off. There is no guarantee of meat availability for onsite late registrations.
- Entry is FREE and meats are provided by sponsors. We will take a waiting list in case of cancellations. All registered cooks and those for on-site waiting list are to be at the large judges tent adjacent to the cooking arena no later than 10:30am on Saturday to register. You will be assigned your cooking space and have a quick cooks meeting with our Head Judge. You will also receive your two turnin clamshell boxes for turning in your entry for judging.
- The only garnish allowed in your turnin clamshell is green leaf lettuce.
- Based on the number of entrants, the competition may be divided into age groups (7-11 & 12-15). This will be determined once all entries have been received by both pre-registered and on-site entrants.
- NO decorations, separate sauces, or side items are allowed in the entry boxes. Green leaf lettuce is the only allowed garnish in the entry box. Clamshell turnin boxes must contain a MINIMUM of six discernibly separate pieces of the protein.
- KIDS Q Category 1 -MUST be received or be in line at the Judges Tent between 2:25pm and 2:35pm. Late entries will be disqualified.
- KIDS Q Category 2 -MUST be received or be in line at the Judges Tent between 3:25pm to 3:35pm. Late entries will be disqualified.
- Parents please understand that this is a KIDS Q CHALLENGE! Parental supervision is required. However, the competitor is responsible for prepping, seasoning, cooking, cutting (depending on age) and placing all items in their entry box. Guidance from parents is acceptable but please respect the concept and allow the kids to be the Head Cooks. If your child is not strong enough to turn their own meat on the grill, they may be too young for this competition.
Judging will be done by PNWBA Certified BBQ Judges following PNWBA association rules and will be graded on 3 criteria: Appearance, Texture, and Taste with taste being given the most weight in the total score. Combined scores from both entries determine Grand Champion and Reserve Champion. Further details on PNWBA rules can be found under the rules tab at: http://www.pnwba.com
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!